Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Of Flags and Words

So, let's see.  What happened this week?

In response to a horrible act of terrorism in Charleston, SC the country decided to ban the use of a flag.  I understand that there is a need to act swiftly in response to an incident such as the killing of the church members in Charleston.  I wish there were reactions that would guarantee a way to prevent something like that from ever happening again.  Every sane person does.  But banning a flag?  Seems like our energy is being misspent.  Probably preventing good people from doing things is the wrong reaction.  This bastard murdering racist could have been arrested and locked away in obscurity forever - or better yet receive the death penalty - but no.  Now he has unwittingly left behind a legacy of causing the Confederate flag to be banned.  Now, whenever I see an image of that flag I'll think of him.  Thanks guys.  I don't know, maybe that flag does represent racism.  But it represents a lot of other things too.  And it is a part of our country's history, like it or not.  Another part of our country's history is allowing our citizens to be free.  I'm telling you, it starts with banning things like flags with uncomfortable connotations.  It will end with book burning.  I wonder where that will lead.....

In unrelated news, UC Berkeley has banned phrases that they consider to be racist, or microagressive, or something.  We're talking about phrases like "America is a melting pot," and "America is the land of opportunity."  There's an article about it here if you are interested.  Or you can just read this.

Oh also, I just found out that since I work for a defense contractor my personal information may have been stolen by the Chinese in their hack of the OPM database.  So that's cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment